NetEnt Video Poker
Video poker is a game of chance and strategy which has been very popular since the 70’s. This game has both the excitement of luck-based slot machines and the challenge of being able to use the perfect strategy to win like in a game of poker. If you’re seeking for something that will give you the thrill of the unknown yet still want some form of control on the outcome of the game, then you’ll certainly enjoy playing video pokers.
NetEnt is known for its diverse repertoire of games and it wouldn’t be complete without some video poker selections. NetEnt has released different variations of video pokers of superb quality. These games are heads and shoulders above other similar games in that they have superior graphics with advanced betting options. Furthermore, they provide a great chance for you to scoop up some winnings with one of the lowest house edges you can find in any casino game.
There are many online sites that you can find video pokers at but many of them give you very limited choice. Here are some of the best NetEnt casinos where you can put your skills to the test and see if you manage to get a hand of royal flush:
Rules of video poker
If you’re new to video pokers, don’t fret! The rules are very easy to learn and you’ll get the hang of it in no time at all. There are different variations of video pokers available so you should start off with something that’s simple like Jacks or Better before you move on to a more complex variation.
The first thing you need to do is decide on your bet size, usually ranging from one to five coins. It’s recommended that you always bet the maximum number of coins possible because the payout ratio for a Royal Flush increases significantly then. The normal payout ratio is 250 to 1 and shoots up to a whopping 800 to 1 if you place the maximum wager.
Now that you’ve decided on how many coins to bet, press the “deal” button and start the draw phase! The game will deal you five cards faced-up and you get to decide which cards you’d like to keep and which ones to discard. You can hold on to the card or cards you want by clicking on them and once you’re happy with your decision, press the “draw” button. The cards you didn’t click on will be replaced by new ones, making this your final hand that determines if you win and the payout amount.
To win the game, you want your final hand to contain a winning combination based on the universal poker hands. Here are the poker hand rankings from lowest to highest:
- Pair: two cards of the same rank
- Two pairs: two different pairs
- Three of a kind: three cards of the same rank
- Straight: Five sequential cards that are not in the same suit
- Flush: Five cards that are in the same suit but not in a sequence
- Full house: three of a kind and a pair
- Four of a kind: four cards of identical rank
- Straight flush: Five cards in a sequence and in the same suit
- Royal flush: 10, J, Q, K, A of an identical suit
Odds in video poker
Video pokers are a casino’s best-kept secret in that they give some of the best odds in favour of the players. Many professional punters choose video poker as their game of choice because they give you the highest chance of winning.
The Return to Player (RTP) rate of video pokers differs between different variations but are often above 99% if you play with the perfect strategy. For example, in a game of Jacks or Better, the payback percentage is at a remarkable 99.54%. This means that you can still afford to make some minor mistakes with a house edge of less than 0.5%. On the other hand, if you’re confident that your game strategy is flawless, you should try playing the full pay Deuces Wild variation. With an optimal strategy, the RTP is an astonishing 100.7% where the house edge disappears completely!
In comparison with slot games, which are generally more popular, video poker offers a much better RTP. Most slots only give a rate of return of around 95% to 97% and you’ll never see one above 99% so your chance of winning at video poker is much greater. While blackjack could also give a house edge of less than 1%, you can’t exactly win big with a small wager in one game. If you make a royal flush in video poker with just a £10 bet, you can potentially win a lucrative cash prize of £8,000!
Video poker variations
There are many variations when it comes to video poker and new players might find this confusing. In general, the variations are based on just two main games so you should start by understanding how the main games work:
- Jacks or Better – this is the ancestor of video poker and it’s the vanilla version without any bells and whistles. The game mechanics are very simple where you first draw five cards, retain the ones you want and discard the rest. Then, you draw another time to replace the discarded cards and find out if you have a winning combination. The lowest ranking winning combination is a pair of Jacks or higher value cards which is why the name of the game is Jacks or Better.
- Deuces Wild – the game process is similar to Jacks or Better where you receive five cards and decide on which ones to retain while discarding the rest then drawing new ones to replace them. The difference is that the Deuces Wild deck contains four wild cards which could replace any other card to complete a winning combination, much like the wild symbol of a slot game.
Just like online slots, some video pokers also feature a progressive jackpot, which makes things even more exciting. This is where some video pokers are linked together and a small percentage of every bet on these games go into a common jackpot. The jackpot keeps building up until someone makes the hand with the winning combination, usually a royal flush, and walks away with the entire pool of cash. Here’s how you can trigger the progressive jackpot in video poker:
- Jacks or Better – End up with a royal flush as your final hand on a bet with the maximum amount of coins.
- Deuces Wild – You must bet with the maximum coins possible and make a natural royal flush. This means that your royal flush cannot contain any wild cards.
- Joker Poker – Draw a royal flush while you’re on a maximum coin bet.
Is video poker a game for you?
Video poker might not have the flashiest animation nor the most impressive effects when it comes to casino games. However, serious punters who are looking for games that give the best chances to win will want to take a closer look at video poker. The house edge is incredibly low and sometimes disappears especially when you add in a progressive jackpot. If you’re seeking for a game that requires skill and gives large payouts without competing against other players, this is the perfect game for you. So read up on video poker strategies and head over to one of our trusted casinos now where you could beat the house!